[lbo-talk] everything sucks and is getting worse (cont.)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 15 17:32:26 PST 2010

http://www.theawl.com/2010/11/oh-mark-zuckerberg-who-gives-a-crap-what-illiterate-children-want

Monday, November 15th, 2010 TECHNOIDIOCRACY

Oh Mark Zuckerberg, Who Gives a Crap What Illiterate Children Want? by Choire Sicha on November 15th, 2010

"Zuckerberg tells an anecdote about his girlfriend's sister—a high-schooler. Conversations with high-schoolers 'make me feel old.' High-schoolers say 'we don't use email. It's too slow.'" So goes this morning's press conference and so now there is Facebook… Something. Chat-Text-Mail. Cloud-communication. Robot packet talk! Wall-posting blammo Places check-in! Hi-ya! So what Facebook email actually is: it is one long endless chat history, basically. One long eternally-ongoing chain. It's sure interesting to watch a company that started at Harvard now skewing towards servicing the junior high schools. And also, guess what, sooner or later the tweens and teens, who like to IM and Facebook chat and text all day, will get jobs. If they can. So the current mantra—"Seamless! Personal! Informal! Short!"—well, you know what it reminds me of? "You did me business ethics propsal for me I need propsal got approved pls can you will write me paper?"