[lbo-talk] Why Obama doesn't suck

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 05:36:37 PST 2010

yeah, well, kinda, since that's also true of Republicans who don't always look weak and... electoral victory fundamentally depends on veiling the simple fact that each party is a/the party of capital. there is a set of strong, pro-middle class, pro-capital arguments Dems could make but they are afraid to make them because - after Clinton's and Obama's success based on appropriating first neoliberal and then neoconservative arguments from the Republicans, Democrats are now the left wing of the Republican Party and have almost completely foresworn any kind of allegiance to those other arguments.

furthermore, Doug's position - as he knows - also does a great job of discounting the role of social movements, the semiotically and materially contradictory character of the legitimating ideologies of public democracy and private accumulation and the internal contradictions of capitalism

in fact, historically, its as weak as SA's attributing the shift of the national discourse towards a melding of neoconservative and neoliberal positions to Goldwater and grassroots support for him (though, to be fair, I am almost surely taking what he wrote and running further with it than he intended). On the one hand, whoever the Republicans put up in 1964 was going to lose because of JFK's post-assissination deification, Johnson's political savvy and Johnson's being a southerner. On the other hand, and here I am going to absolutely agree with Charles, the shift to the right is much more about racism, sexism, nationalism, anti-environmentalism, anti-unionism, etc. than it is about a Goldwaterian discourse. At the same time, to argue that Goldwater was nominated as a result of grassroots organizing would seem to have to be predicated on an argument that what the National Review did during the 50s and 60s was grassrootsy... to conflate a top-down patrician conservatism with a bottom-up populist conservatism. That latter melding lies in Nixon's Southern Strategy after the racist, militarist, and sexist populist revolt against civil rights legislation, Black Power/urban "unrest", draft card and bra burning, and sex and drugs and rock and roll.