[lbo-talk] AIDS denialism

Chuck Munson chuck0munson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 16:55:43 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> There's quite a spirited comment thread on AIDS denialism on my "blog," mostly in response to Mitch Cohen, a moderate denialist and moderate 9/11 Truther who is chair of WBAI's local board (and a poet of some sort, too). Worth checking out:
>
> http://lbo-news.com/2010/11/15/pacifica-death-watch-cont-gary-null-edition/

That is a very fascinating thread, one of the rare online arguments where you learn a few things just be reading replies by people well-versed in the subject. I'm really bothered by the existence of AIDS denialists. When people promote conspiracy theories about 9/11, that's pretty harmless compared with spreading misinformation that affects people's health. It's important to be skeptical about the scientific establishment, accepted theories and the medical industry, but you also have to root that skepticism in science and solid arguments. It's foolish to adhere to a position simply because you don't want to admit that you've been wrong.

I think there is a place on stations like WBAI for controversial content like 9/11 and natural health remedies, but that marginal shit should be on the air at 3am, not front an center during daytime programming.

I met Mitch once and have followed his writings over the years. He's struck me as a smart guy and passionate activist, but it looks like he's defending an indefensible position simply because he doesn't want to admit being wrong. That's something all of us have to deal with. It's hard to admit that you are wrong about something.

Chuck0