[lbo-talk] Rough Trade Shops proves I'm no longer hip

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 18:09:24 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> Meanwhile, on a related topic, can someone explain Sufjan Stevens to me? What I've heard sounds seriously yawn-inducing.

I only really like the Illinois record, and not enough to rave about it or even explain him to you. But I do like that someone who "comes from" "the" working class, and who self-consciously writes about "it," also wears makeup, dresses in outlandish costumes, and creates orchestral pop. No flannel, no greasy hair, very few guitars. Working-class music that is also inextricably, uh, gay. Like Bowie.