[lbo-talk] Query BLS replacement data series

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 11:09:40 PST 2010

Yeah capitalists who take part of their compensation in nominal wages usually get a tiny percentage. But there are hedge fund managers and CEOS who get a lot more than half a million a year. It does not take throwing a lot of million and two million dollar salaries into the mix to skew the hourly wage upwords. We are never going to get a "perfect" estimate of the working class hourly wage, nor do we need one. Non-sup includes about 80% of the working class and skews a little low, cause it excludes some of the higher paid members of the WC. Sup skews a little high, because it includes some capitalist profits that are nominally taken in the form of wage labor. The difference is about 16% per hour worked. So maybe the all workers figure is better, even with a tiny percent of capitalist profits skewing the numbers. That Krugman thinks so is an argument for that view.