[lbo-talk] Why Obama doesn't suck

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 06:18:26 PST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Marv Gandall <marvgand at gmail.com> wrote:

> ======================================
>
> 1. I think the debate we've been having turns precisely on this issue. I
> didn't have the impression you favoured confrontation rather than
> accommodation with the Republican right and the interests they represent.
> You've been saying, with Woj and Charles, that there was and is no actual or
> potential majority in the US for tougher measures than those promoted and
> passed by the Obama administration.
>
> 2. Evidently, Woj sees you on his side of the debate as well:
>
> > [WS:] You seem to consistently avoid addressing the point that Charles,
> SA
> > and I are trying to make - namely, that "taking the fight" was a suicidal
> > tactic - virtually certain to lose and create even more damage, and the
> > decision to move slowly without provoking the other side going ballistic
> > seemed a wise one, as it offered a greater promise of a successful
> outcome.

Marv, while I think you're correct in general. At the same time, I think SA's positions have had a great deal more nuance and data and that he's also said that his personal predilections aren't embodied by the position he sees the data leading him to. I think, SA's saying that he finds himself neither with Woj and Charles nor with you and I on this and would just as soon not be lumped here or there (with the intended resonant image of green eggs and ham). Is that right, SA?