[lbo-talk] any irish lbo-talkers out there?

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 11:55:18 PST 2010

More questions for the Irish, if they're game.....

Today the FT has an article about Franco-German pressure for an Irish corporate tax hike in exchange for a bailout. It quotes an Irish politician saying corporate tax is "non-negotiable," which made me laugh a bit -- it sounds sort of like the legless, armless knight spoiling for a fight in the Monty Python movie. What I want to know is, what's the popular feeling about the corporate tax? Some things I've read have claimed that low corporate taxes are seen as some beloved national treasure by the Irish masses. Is that true? Is it universally believed that a forced tax hike would kill the country's economic prospects? Will the Germans have to pry the 12.5% rate out of your cold, dead hands, to paraphrase Charlton Heston?

SA