[lbo-talk] NYers: sign this!

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Nov 20 08:22:52 PST 2010

On Nov 20, 2010, at 10:35 AM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Bill O'Connor writes:
>
>> Hydraulic fracturing is a net energy loser when you factor in the
>> electricity and diesel fuel you need to set up the pads and drill
>> rigs.
>
> Isn't that true of almost all non-burning-crude-oil-or-coal energy
> sources?
>
> You gotta use energy to "make" energy that's useable in some other
> form in some other place, I think there's not much getting around
> that.

You've got to use energy to make anything at all. The question is: in getting an energy *output* do you use *more* energy input than you get in output? That is Bill's point--the *net* output would be negative if he is right.

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it

always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire,

kindling in measures and going out in measures."

Herakleitos of Ephesos