[lbo-talk] Vampire Squid: Hydra Incoming

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Nov 20 10:45:09 PST 2010

On Fri, November 19, 2010 12:16 pm, Eric Beck wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM, <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:
>
>> The report won't say this, but many pension funds and insurance
>> companies are really arms of that scandalous hydra, the developmental
>> state
>
> You mean like AIG?

AIG is currently owned by the US government and should be run as a public utility. It won't be, of course, but "utility-ization" is a goal worth fighting for.

>> (I'm shamelessly paraphrasing Rediker and Linebaugh's superb title,
>>
> Except Rediker and Linebaugh used it to describe the multifarious
> resistance to primitive accumulation, slavery, and the colonizing demands
> of capitalists and their compradors, not the success of those things.

The 21st century developmental state is not Maoist/Stalinist autarky. It's complex, urbanized, has sophisticated audiences and mass media, and is profoundly democratic (and democratizing).

-- DRR