[lbo-talk] feeling good

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 14:31:57 PST 2010

On 11/22/2010 4:58 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2010, at 4:51 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:
>
>> In light of this experience, we can speculate on whether the economic and political system has become so dysfunctional that it is no longer possible for American capitalism to reform itself. That would be a discussion worth having
> I dunno, are there really two sides to this question?

I think the premise can be questioned. You could argue that American capitalism is thriving like never before. Wall Street is making billions, profits are soaring, unprecedented attacks on the working class (slashing SS and Medicare, quasi-privatizing education) are on the table to an unprecedented degree, along with huge further tax cuts despite an alleged fiscal crisis. And all without a peep of protest. Pointing to the possibility of another crisis down the road just begs the question - why wouldn't that crisis merely have the effect of finally letting them push through all the stuff they haven't been able to get before?

SA