[lbo-talk] feeling good

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 23 07:20:41 PST 2010

I more or less agree with this, but I am a bit bothered by the identification of capitalism with capitalists. Also I would argue that capitalism is not the same as capitalist society -- the latter in terms of human activity isfar larger. (Miles has made comments that point in this direction. Capitalism (any variety) requires a state a state is not as such, capitalist. And though I, like everyone elst contstantly speak of capitalism doing this or that (reforming or not reform itself) capitalism is not of course and agent and actually does nothing at all.

And "reforming capitalism" is an oxymorong, which is perhaps what Doug meant. It is capitalist relations that enslave humanity, and capitalism is those relations! At its best (whatever that means) it is barbarism. How many lives around the world were being destroyed during that "golden age" of u.s. capitalism, the 1950s. The Central American peasants would have beenmuch better off over a clumsy and brutal feudalism.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of SA Sent: Monday, November 22, 2010 4:32 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] feeling good

On 11/22/2010 4:58 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2010, at 4:51 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:
>
>> In light of this experience, we can speculate on whether the economic and
political system has become so dysfunctional that it is no longer possible for American capitalism to reform itself. That would be a discussion worth having
> I dunno, are there really two sides to this question?

I think the premise can be questioned. You could argue that American capitalism is thriving like never before. Wall Street is making billions, profits are soaring, unprecedented attacks on the working class (slashing SS and Medicare, quasi-privatizing education) are on the table to an unprecedented degree, along with huge further tax cuts despite an alleged fiscal crisis. And all without a peep of protest. Pointing to the possibility of another crisis down the road just begs the question - why wouldn't that crisis merely have the effect of finally letting them push through all the stuff they haven't been able to get before?