[lbo-talk] To market, to market...

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 05:29:57 PST 2010

Eric: "But it's worth pointing out, for the eight thousandth time, that "postwar practice in Europe" was a complete anomaly in capitalism's history. It was the exception, not the norm."

[WS:] I am afraid that this is correct. Not only European style welfare state but also European style democracy were products of unique social conditions that do not exist anymore, and will likely be replaced by market totalitarianism (cf. China.) Or perhaps meet the fate of European monarchies - reduced to purely ceremonial institutions that have zero impact on economy and society. Neo-liberalism shows the way it will happen - creating the tyranny of "the markets" (euphemism for the capitalist class) in the name of freedom and liberty.

Wojtek