[lbo-talk] The Horrible Swiss

Hein Marais hein at marais.as
Mon Nov 29 01:47:16 PST 2010

That seems to be the line of argument ... "let's entrust the important stuff to our Enlightened Leaders", or better, elect another people.

Ironically, some jammers put up fake newspaper posters in Geneva last night, with the headline: "Le criminel c'est l'électeur", or The criminal is the voter.

The reality is disarmingly plain: the traditional parties in Switzerland are basically powerless against the far-right. They're tactically and strategically off the pace, and they're ideologically wooden and woolly at the same time. They neither inspire nor inflame. Wheeze is more their thing, Much the same can be said of trad. parties across Europe. The centre is being pulled further and further to the right, and the far-right holds the initiative. The most successful variants are those able to combine breathless, base populism with technocratic features. The problem's not the voting system, it's the failure of trad. establishment parties to build sufficient consent not only against reaction, but for a humane alternative.