[lbo-talk] FW: [SIXTIES-L] Joan Baez Injured In Fall From Treehouse

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 29 17:07:18 PST 2010

:-)

-----Original Message----- From: the moderator [mailto:resist at comcast.net] Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:46 PM To: Recipient at ilstu.edu; list at ilstu.edu; suppressed: Subject: [SIXTIES-L] Joan Baez Injured In Fall From Treehouse

[3 articles]

Joan Baez Injured In Fall From Treehouse

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/68404/236274

Singer is 'resting comfortably' after spill

By Maura Johnston Nov 19, 2010

When the Bay Area's weather permits, folk legend Joan Baez sleeps 20 feet above ground in a wall-less treehouse nestled inside a 200-year-old oak on her property. On Wednesday, while disembarking from the house, she fell to the ground, sending her to the hospital.

Baez was treated for minor injuries at Stanford Hospital after the incident at her Woodside, Calif., home.

"My contact with nature and the moon and the birds and the trees, they mean so much to me," Baez said when discussing the treehouse in an October interview with the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle . http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20101021/ENT0501/10210320/Joan-B aez-to-perform-Saturday

Nancy Lutzow, who works at Baez's company Diamonds & Rust Productions, told the San Jose Mercury News on Thursday that the singer was "resting comfortably." Baez's next live appearances are scheduled for March 2011.

--------

Joan Baez injured in fall from backyard treehouse

http://www.mercurynews.com/san-mateo-county/ci_16650743?nclick_check=1

By Bruce Newman bnewman at mercurynews.com Posted: 11/18/2010

Sixties songbird Joan Baez had the treehouse built -- without walls -- 20 feet high in an oak tree behind her Woodside home because she wanted to sleep with actual birds.

But the folk-singing legend, who once performed the civil-rights anthem "We Shall Overcome" before half a million people at Woodstock, was brought unceremoniously to earth Wednesday, falling as she climbed down from the platform.

Almost four decades after she earned a gold record with "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," paramedics drove the golden-throated pixie down to Stanford Hospital, where she was treated and released after it was determined she had suffered only minor injuries.

Baez, 69, was "resting comfortably" Thursday at a secure, undisclosed and presumably low-altitude location, said Nancy Lutzow, who runs Baez's Menlo Park production company.

"I sleep in a tree all summer long," Baez told an English blogger in 2008. "I climb up on a ladder, with ropes and things. The birds are right there in the morning. Sometimes they're flying so close to my head, I can feel the wind. Those things are heaven to me."

Baez was at the forefront of a musical movement that began in the coffeehouses of Greenwich Village in Manhattan during the early 1960s, performing the first cover of a song written by the then-unknown Bob Dylan, with whom she soon plunged into a tempestuous three-year romance.

After their difficult parting, Dylan wrote the revenge ballad "Positively 4th Street," in which he sang to his former folkie allies, "You know as well as me. You'd rather see me paralyzed."

Baez's spokeswoman said the singer shall overcome her injuries someday -- just not today. --

Contact Bruce Newman at 408-920-5004.

--------

Folk legend Joan Baez injured after falling from a treehouse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1331559/Folk-legend-Joan-Baez-i njured-falling-treehouse.html

20th November 2010

Folk legend Joan Baez was recovering last night after falling 20 feet from a treehouse in her garden.

The Sixties singer was taken to hospital after she slipped and fell to the ground while climbing down from the oak tree which sits in behind her California home.

She was taken by ambulance to Stanford Hospital where she was treated for minor injuries and is now 'resting comfortably', according to a spokesperson.

Joan, who turns 70 next January, had the treehouse built in an 200-year-old oak tree behind her California home and often sleeps there, weather permitting.

The singer said she wanted the tree for somewhere to meditate, write, and be 'close to nature'.

She said: 'I sleep in a tree all summer long. I climb up on a ladder, with ropes and things. The birds are right there in the morning. Sometimes they're flying so close to my head I can feel the wind. Those things are heaven to me.'

Baez, who became famous performing civil rights anthems such as We Shall Overcome, was also known for her three-year relationship with Bob Dylan from 1961 to 1964.

.