[lbo-talk] Ravitch v. Gates

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Tue Nov 30 14:36:58 PST 2010

On Tue, November 30, 2010 9:11 am, Doug Henwood wrote:

> A spirited critique of Bill Gates from Diane Ravitch:
>
> http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer-sheet/diane-ravitch/ravitch-answers-gates.html

A delightful skewering. My favorite moment:

Gates: "Does she really like 400-page [union] contracts?" Ravitch: ..."We have to replace 300,000 teachers (of nearly 4 million) every single year. What are his ideas about how to do this?"

I laughed so hard. Bill Gates, the privileged child of a top-tier banker and a corporate executive, the accidental gazillionaire who stumbled into his (rapidly vanishing) desktop monopoly because IBM dropped the ball on OS/2, whose company continues to release some of the most bug-ridden and virus-susceptible bloatware created by humanity, whose entrepreneurial genius managed to lose $4.5 billion on console games despite 12% annual growth rates in the industry (and don't get me started on Zune or Internet Exploder) -- this undercompetent oligopolist who has decided to use his billions to effectively destroy the life chances of millions of ordinary Americans has the sheer nerve to lecture us teachers on how we're overpaid slackers. I've got your test scores right here, Mr. Gates, and guess what -- your agenda, your ruling elite, and your whole damn Empire fails.

-- DRR