[lbo-talk] European cities hit by anti-austerity protests (correction)

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri Oct 1 12:59:49 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-01, at 12:42 PM, Wojtek S wrote:

> Re: "It's typical also for culturally as well as economically whites
> to direct most of their anger against immigrants"
>
> [WS:] So, there are no anti-immigrant sentiments among US blacks? Or
> South Africa? Or any other country that has immigrants?

Sure, these sentiments undoubtedly exist among some US blacks and some later-generation hispanics, but there is no equivalence, as you seem to be suggesting, to the mass of white Americans who feel their power and culture slipping away and who have organized themselves in the TPM and vigilante groups along the Mexican border. The South African pogroms seem to me to be of a different order, which is not to excuse them; one oppressed group tragically victimizing another for reasons primarily of economic need rather than racism.