[lbo-talk] Several lectures by Paul Fry

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Oct 1 20:37:23 PDT 2010

Thanks Chuck. Good find.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Grimes" <c123grimes at att.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, October 1, 2010 7:44:28 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Several lectures by Paul Fry

Two lectures by Paul Fry covering Marxist criticisms and the Benjamin, Adorno, and literary theory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFpGf7aPXNA&feature=related

And another centered on Fredric Jameson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQvp5z0Zbvo&p=D00D35CBC75941BD&playnext=1

They will be of interest to the literary and art theory crowd, with some application to history and sociology. Some familiarity is advised.

While I am not too crazy about this guy's voice, man does he have it organized. If you want more follow the numbered lectures which are all about fifty plus minutes. The next one up is on The New Historicism and looks at Stephen Greenblatt

About my only criticism is Fry needs to mention particular works much more often. This is one giant advantage to the visual arts. Just put up slides. For literature, of course you have to have read the work and thought about them. I guess that's true of the visuals, also, because most people haven't looked at art long enough to see much more than the picture.

CG