[lbo-talk] Finance Capital vs. a Productive Economy

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 06:31:46 PDT 2010

[WS:] Of course, defenders of finance capital would counter that elimination of "inefficient" jobs is a service to the economy, for othewrise we would still be producing typewriters instead of computers.

I would argue it a bit differently - that financial capital imposes demands on profitablity that are impossible to meet in the real world due to international competition - a point that Brenner makes in his book "The economic of global turbulence" - and this unreasonable expectation lead to speculative bubbles that are self-destructive. In other words, if financial capital is a "brain" - as the metaphor that you cite claims - then it is a brain with bipolar disorder producing manic phases which inevitably lead to self-destructive crashes.

Which brings me to my second point - the mode of presentation really matters. Just look at the "story of stuff" that makes a complex point - demonstrating the absurdity of the consumerist economy - in a way that is very compelling to anyone, not just econogeeks. Here is the link http://www.storyofstuff.com/ My point here is - break your argument into several simpler points and illustrate each point with visuals. And also use pauses after you make an interim point (so audience can absorb it) not while you are making it, because it distracts the audience.

Sorry if it sounds negative, but this is meant as friendly critique not criticism.

Wojtek