[lbo-talk] Race to Nowhere

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Oct 7 16:27:02 PDT 2010

I just went to see "Race to Nowhere" last night. It's a documentary that describes the achievement/success/performance model of education which is not resulting in much education and which is hurting a lot of kids. I wish my daughter and I had seen it together before she started High School. I wish I had had the money to send her to a reasonable school. Assuming there is such a thing any more.

I was familiar with the syndrome of how the more you work, the less you learn....after a certain point. But I was still amazed by one of the statistics given in the movie: half of all these high-achieving super-performing 4.5 students who go on to state schools and universities have to take remedial classes. Boggles the mind!

Anyway, if you're a parent with school-age kids or if you're involved with education, I highly recommend it.

Joanna