[lbo-talk] Cohen: Hang a doomsday security around bankers' necks

Bill O'Connor billyoc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 11:20:05 PDT 2010

Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> writes:

> [WS:] Is it not possible to sue corporate execs personally and go
> after their private assets in cases of mal- or misfeasance? They did
> that with old Bernie Madoff, no? All you need to do is a government
> willing to do it, and perhaps legislation making it easier to prove
> malfeasance or misfeasance - something that can be easily accomplished
> if there is political will. If Obama administration does not do it,
> it is a political decision to go lightly on corporate criminals, which
> is a law enforcement issue, not the law per se.

Doug had Yves Smith on a few weeks ago, and she made a point of saying that one of the worst effects of all the deregulation we've suffered in the last 30+ years has been the elimination of the partnership model, which *did* allow that possibility. Partners were *personally* liable for their actions under the old model, whereas now they're just gambling with other people's money.

-- In Solidarity, Billy O'Connor