[lbo-talk] Harvey in Berkeley

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 12:15:51 PDT 2010

Chuck: "This is a totally wrong impression. Harvey does not come off as a guru."

[WS:] He writes very well - I am reading his "Enigma of Capital" and I wish I could write like that. But the point I am making is different: gurus are created by audiences and the media machine that expect celebrity performance. Some will step into that role enthusiastically (I personally know a few of those) other may be more reluctant, but even if they refuse to play that role the audience and the media will turn them into gurus anyway.

The position of guru does not reflect that much on the incumbent of that role but the expectation of the audience. Gurus provide emotional gratification to audiences by affirming what the audience already knows but putting it in a new and more sexy form. What Harvey, Chomsky, Zizek & Co say is what their audiences already know, for the most part, but they say it very well and in a way that the audience finds it entertaining. Again, there is nothing wrong with being able to say things well and being entertaining - the point is that it does not go beyond that, it does change any minds (it is mostly preaching to the choir,) does not give any tools for predicting future events or

actions - it is mostly an aesthetic experience, like seeing a movie or a theatrical performance.

This can be illustrated by a review of Harvey's book by someone from South Africa posted on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Enigma-Capital-Crises-Capitalism/product-reviews/0199758719/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_2?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addTwoStar

The reviewer evidently expected something else than an aesthetically pleasing analysis of capitalism when he/she wrote: "A thought provoking reading though the motive by the Marxist David Harvey may be misplaced, but you decide! I give this book 2 stars for its fair assessment of capitalism & its weaknesses but it fails to provide a solid alternative to capitalism with a proven track record!"

Wojtek