[lbo-talk] Harvey in Berkeley

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Fri Oct 8 17:56:46 PDT 2010

Patrick Bond writes:

``Wojtek, the classical Marxist tools (by no means 'sexy') that David put out for assessment last night, which Chuck sums up but which really need several years of thinking to internalise (at least in my case it took that long, even sitting in his classes for three years), are not the stuff of 'entertainment'.. Patrick Bond

No shit, it takes several years---which I have never put in. I went straight home and got out my copy of Capital looked through the table of contents in order to refresh my memory of how Harvey arranged the ideas. Among other things, Harvey presented a how to read Marx outline.

I am not a Marxist scholar. I have to absorb concepts in a different way. Really, at heart I am still working class, because I would rather make things. I understand ideas better when they are `embodied'. The problem of the Lorin District plan is embodied in the infrastructure of the Adeline corridor (West Oakland) and my experiences driving down it and looking at the closed factories, warehouses, run down houses, guys on the corner, etc. In brief metaphor, dealing with Lorin, was pulling on the tiger's tail of the Adeline (West Oakland) infrasucture tiger.

CG