[lbo-talk] Gentrification shock

Chuck Munson chuck0munson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 21:12:22 PDT 2010

I'm currently visiting Washington, DC for two weeks, where I used to live from 1994-2003. I haven't seen parts of the city since 2003, so the insane growth here just keeps astounding me. Tonight I took the Metro over to Columbia Heights. That neighborhood has changed so much that it is unrecognizable to me. If you are familiar with high density areas in other parts of D.C. like Ballston and the Wilson Blvd corridor, it's like they took that stuff and plopped it down over the course of 7-8 years in a residential neighborhood. They have a Target store there, tons of high end food shops and stores, a gastropub and more. The La Casa homeless shelter is still there, but is sandwiched between new and renovated buildings.

The first sign that things had changed struck me on the Metro platform, when I saw all kind of young white people pulling luggage around. You never saw that in that station ten years ago.

It also freaked me out to see so many people walking up and down Irvine Street. This is the street that connects Columbia Heights with the neighborhood to the north of Adams Morgan. The old Wilson Center punk venue used to be on this block.

On the other hand, Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle felt the same, just with some different restaurants.

What freaks me out more than the diversity of D.C., coming from Kansas City, are all the well-off young people. I just wonder if they understand that they are living in a bubble surrounded by a country that doesn't enjoy their standard of living.

Chuck