[lbo-talk] We have lost sight of the goal of economic activity.

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Oct 8 22:32:11 PDT 2010

It's neglected because profits are partly made based on the velocity of the circulation of goods.

More circulation = more profits. My jargon isn't perfect, but we all know what I mean.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry Brooks" <durable at earthlink.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, October 8, 2010 5:44:49 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] We have lost sight of the goal of economic activity.

LBO readers may find this site and the links at the bottom to be amusing.

http://home.earthlink.net/~durable/ ... We have lost sight of the goal of economic activity. Our goal should be to provide goods and services. Any work that may be involved is just a means to that end. ... If consumption means "use-up" then we could say that our wealth is approximately all that we ever acquired minus all that we ever consumed. ...

I always found it very odd that extended durability is neglected as a means of conservation. Our stock of wealth and production/consumption rates are connected by durability. (See Herman Daly, "Steady-state Economics") One example: cars produced at 200 per year that last 5 years would finally create and maintain a fleet of 1000 cars. That same fleet could be supported by only producing 50 cars per year if they lasted for 20 years. As the life span of the cars approaches zero years the cars on the road would also approach zero. Except for perishable goods zero lifespan means zero value.

Barry