[lbo-talk] They're printing another trillion....

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 9 04:15:09 PDT 2010

I write now:

And criticize them judiciously if you will, but let's face it: when the David Harveys and Doug Henwoods retire and pass from this earth, there will be ZERO Marxist political economy available in what passes for the left public sphere in the US. There is no one coming up to replace them. There are people with the proper attitudes and aptitudes, for sure, but there's no institutional home, career trajectories, or income streams for them. So it's Matt Taibbi (or Paul Krugman or Alex Jones) or bust, folks...

I wrote before:

I'm not sure I'm so sanguine about the implications of the Fed letting the printing presses roll, as opposed to the US gov taxing the rich, cutting military spending, and directing mega-revenues toward a million underfunded ecological and social priorities (yeah, right) -- but otherwise you are on point. One reason there is no left in the US is there are bunch of dummies and ninnies under the spell of petty bourgeois/populist goldbug and funny money theories of a conspiratorial bent, and it's only getting worse and worse all the time. Almost everywhere is shit but the US is even shittier. I would appeal to God but there is no God so far as I can tell...

And although I haven't read it, I thought Taibbi just published an across-the-board excoriation of the TP'ers. So why is he recapitulating their asinine funny money theory? What a doofus...