[lbo-talk] Yves Klein: Foreclosure Fraud and the million missing notes

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Oct 9 06:46:03 PDT 2010

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2010/09/more-evidence-of-bank-fubar-mortgage-behavior-florida-banks-destroyed-notes-others-never-transferred-them.html

Monday, September 27, 2010

FUBAR Mortgage Behavior: Florida Banks Destroyed Notes; Others Never Transferred Them

<snip>

But to give readers the latest report of modern FUBAR, mortgage

edition, let us continue with the sorry saga of "Where's My Note?" For

the benefit of newbies, what everyone calls a mortgage actually has two

components: the note, which is the borrower IOU, and the mortgage (in

some states, it's called a deed of trust) which is the lien on the

property. In 45 states, the mortgage is a mere accessory to the note;

you must be the real party of interest in the note in order to

foreclose.

The pooling and servicing agreement, which governs who does what when

in a mortgage securitization, requires the note to be endorsed (just

like a check, signed by one party over to the next), showing the full

chain of title, and the minimum conveyance chain is A (originator) => B

(sponsor) => C (depositor) => D (trust). The endorsements also have to

be wet ink; no electronic signatures permitted.

I've had a lot of anecdotal evidence to support the idea that these

procedures, which were created in the early days of mortgage

securitizations, were simply not observed on a widespread, if not a

universal basis. My sense is that the breakdown in practice was well

underway by 2004, but it may have taken place earlier. For instance, a

group of over 100 lawyers in a loose network around Max Garndner, a

North Carolina bankruptcy lawyer who has taken a serious interest in

this area, now has a standing joke that the first one that finds a deal

where the note was correctly endorsed must bronze it and hang it on

their wall. In other words, in none of the cases this large group has

seen were the notes transferred to the trust properly.

I've been reluctant to take as strong a stand as their collective

experience suggests, but independent evidence confirms their report.

One little stunner came courtesy Alan Grayson's office. In 2009, the

Florida Bankers Association wrote a letter to the Florida Supreme Court

objecting to some proposed rule changes for foreclosure cases. The full

text of the letter is here. The critical section:

The reason "many firms file lost note counts as a standard

alternative pleading in the complaint" is because the physical

document was deliberately eliminated to avoid confusion immediately

upon its conversion to an electronic file. See State Street Bank and

Trust Company v. Lord, 851 So. 2d 790 (Fla. 4th DCA 2003).

Electronic storage is almost universally acknowledged as safer, more

efficient and less expensive than maintaining the originals in hard

copy, which bears the concomitant costs of physical indexing,

archiving and maintaining security. It is a standard in the industry

and becoming the benchmark of modern efficiency across the spectrum

of commerce--including the court system.

This is highly entertaining, because the excuse is "oh we destroyed the

note, so our standard practice is to use a lost note affidavit." If

this was really as widespread as the Florida Bankers Association

suggests, they are in a whole heap of trouble, because in most (if not

all) jurisdictions, original notes with proper wet ink endorsements are

required. And in states that are serious about proper procedure (South

Carolina, for instance), judges are not going to have much sympathy

with the use of a lost note affidavit when the note was destroyed.

But while it is clear the notes weren't handled properly, I'm not

certain that this electronic scanning story is accurate either (meaning

it isn't standard practice in mortgage land). In plenty of cases,

plaintiffs come up with collateral files with hard copies of documents

in them, albeit including suspiciously helpful ones that appear

miraculously at the last minute.

At least in private label deals (meaning non Freddie and Fannie), it

appears instead that the notes are back with the originator, never

endorsed as required in the pooling and servicing agreement, and are

transferred out when needed. We provided a report that suggests all the

notes from Countrywide deals are still with Countrywide, even though it

securitized 96% of the mortgages it originated. We got even stronger

confirmation over the weekend.

One of my colleagues had a long conversation with the CEO of a major

subprime lender that was later acquired by a larger bank that was a

major residential mortgage player. This buddy went through his

explanation of why he thought mortgage trusts were in trouble if more

people wised up to how they had messed up with making sure they got the

note. The former CEO was initially resistant, arguing that they had

gotten opinions from top law firms. My contact was very familiar with

those opinions, and told him how qualified they were, and did not cover

the little problem of not complying with the terms of the pooling and

servicing agreement. He also rebutted other objections of the CEO. They

guy then laughed nervously and said, "Well, if you're right, we're

fucked. We never transferred the paper. No one in the industry

transferred the paper."

This creates a lot of problems. If the originator is bankrupt (New

Century, IndyMac), the bankruptcy trustee is supposed to approve any

assets leaving the BK'd estate. I'm told bankruptcy judges who have

been asked were not happy to hear this sort of thing might be taking

place, which strongly suggests this activity is going on without the

requisite approvals. And who from the BK'd entity can endorse it over?

It doesn't have any more officers or employees. Similarly, a lot of the

intermediary entities (the B and C in the A-B-C-D chain earlier) are

long dead. How do you obtain their endorsements?

Now you understand why everyone is resorting to fabricated documents

and bogus affidavits. There is no simple way to fix this mess.

<end excerpt>

Michael