[lbo-talk] music news

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Oct 11 19:37:16 PDT 2010

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> Latest vinyl fans are heavy metal kids.

I get the impression it's cool kids in general. My (then 14 year old) niece once lectured me on how much better records were than CDs because of the covers that were often art and full of cool serendipitous info. I told her all the same stuff was in CDs -- and then realized I probably haven't looked at an album cover or insert in a CD in my life precisely because they're so small it's not a pleasure. Where I used to look at the album covers all the time. She was right. And now she loves vinyl like kids did when it first came out. Perhaps even more because it's not necessary for hearing the music, just a luxury, and because they now mark you as select and cool.

She's into punk, and has sterling taste, so for her birthday I bought a relatively cheap copy of Patti Smith's first 45, Piss Factory, which some people argue is the first real punk record made. And then had to explain to her about the wide hole thing :-)

Michael