[lbo-talk] Winner-Take-All Politics

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 10:43:09 PDT 2010

On 10/12/2010 12:47 PM, Wojtek S wrote:

> Jacob Hacker& Paul Pierson, Winner-Take-All Politics, Simon& Shuster, 2010.
>
> Has anyone read this book?
>
> It got very interesting reviews (see below), and it is on my reading
> listing after I finish "Enigma of Capital."

It's a good book. For those of us who aren't shocked by the thesis it's got lots of juicy information tidbits. On the other hand, it renders a service by injecting some shocking ideas into political science. Unfortunately, the chapter on "history," focusing on the Progressive and New Deal eras, is an embarrassment that should have been left out of the book. In its framing there's too much unconvincing hopey uplift for naive liberals to take heart from. But that stuff contrasts starkly with the main thrust of the book, which is pretty bleak.

Where did this review come from, Woj?

SA