[lbo-talk] what government spending?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 10:44:08 PDT 2010

[WS:] I do not think that I am missing anything here, because transfers are reported as expenditures elsewhere (e.g. the household sector that receives those transfers,) for example, social security, medicare or unemployment. The latter are included in current expenditures (about $5 trillion in 2009 or 35.7% of GDP) but these are not really "government spending" but rather insurance payments that happened to be administered by government. For these payments, the government is really a pass through entity, not that much different than a private insurance scheme. If I am not mistaken, treating them as a part of government budget (rather than a separate fund) was a political decision made in the 1960s (Max?)

I understand that right wingers try to project an image of huge government spending so they throw anything that can be associated with government into it and then call it a waste - but that is a part of their disinformation campaign. To counter that, it makes sense to distinguish between what government actually consumes and what it passes through - which directly benefits citizens.

Wojtek