[lbo-talk] music news

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 11:26:58 PDT 2010

My old record player broke earlier this month, just decided to replace it.

It's a decision that doesn't make much financial sense. I already have my treasured albums in uncompressed .FLAC format and my sound system isn't up to audiophile standards. A 150 dollar turntable with a cheap cartridge / stylus sounds *worse* than the high quality digital stuff. Though when confronted by that fact I normally just mutter something about how "metallic" and "flat" digital formats sound.

It looks cool in the dorm room, drunk people trying using my Pet Sounds LP as a scratch record and all.