[lbo-talk] In Re: spending as a percentage of GDP ...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 12 11:42:47 PDT 2010

On Oct 12, 2010, at 2:29 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> It's only a question of what you mean by "way up" -- and what you think the response to saying that should be.

Nominal spending rose almost 30% between the end of 2007 and the 2nd quarter of 2010, a time when nominal GDP is up 2%. I think a rise of nearly a third when the economy's been flat counts as "way up." You can argue that it should have been bigger - I'd argue that it should have been bigger but mostly better - but really, you look other-worldy denying that government spending has risen a lot.

Doug