[lbo-talk] this just in from Mars

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 19:45:08 PDT 2010

Doug Henwood: POLL: Voters more likely to see Democrats as dominated by extremists By Alexander Bolton - 10/14/10 06:00 AM ET

Likely voters in battleground districts see extremists as having a more dominant influence over the Democratic Party than they do over the GOP.

Somebody: This really is unbelievable. We can understand why the bourgeoisie wouldn't care to set a right-ward limit on Republican ideology, but unfortunately neither are voters. By way of contrast, voters do seem to set limits to how left-wing the Democratic Party can go, in conjunction with the ruling class.

The Republicans really are exploring how far right a major party can go in a bourgeois democratic system in modern times. What's interesting to me is how short-sighted American capitalists are, and how they're not even willing to invest heavily in infrastructure, unlike their counterparts in Europe and Asia. Does this relate, in some way, to the American model of shareholder capitalism?