[lbo-talk] Fw: The world's worst prisons

Ricky Page rfpage2008 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 10:59:31 PDT 2010

----- Forwarded Message ---- From: Amnesty International USA <alerts at takeaction.amnestyusa.org> To: Ricky Page <rfpage2008 at yahoo.com> Sent: Thu, October 14, 2010 1:56:16 PM Subject: The world's worst prisons

These are the kinds of prisons you see in horror movies and they are 100% real.

Put an end to prison death traps.

Dear Ricky,

Once you enter this cramped, dark box with no windows, you may never leave. There's no silence, because the screams and cries are just too loud. There is little sanitation, and little chance of avoiding disease and malnutrition afflicting inhabitants.

The inhabitants of this box are human, but they are exposed to things that no human should endure.

And this place is called prison, but we assure you, it's much worse.

Tell Congress to not let the U.S. support foreign prison death traps.

Some of the worst prisons in the world operate in countries that benefit from U.S. assistance. Fortunately last month, members of Congress in both the House and the Senate decided to address these horrific conditions once and for all.

They introduced a bill that would pull certain funding from countries with inhumane conditions inside their prisons and detention facilities.

But the bills don't just discourage bad behavior, they also would provide assistance to countries making significant efforts to improve conditions in their prisons.

Urge your member of Congress to help put an end to inhumane conditions inside prisons worldwide.

When introducing the bill, Senator Patrick Leahy described it perfectly: Anyone who has been inside one of these facilities, or seen photographs...understands that I am talking about the mistreatment of human beings in ways that are reminiscent of the Dark Ages.This is unacceptable. Prisons are not meant to be torture chambers, death traps or sites for systematic degradation.

Congress can help to stop these horrors, but they have to speak out now. Please email your member of Congress today.

Thank You,

Scott Edwards International Advocacy Director Amnesty International USA

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. Messages sent to this email address are not read. If you have a question or comment, please use our interactive online help system. Subscribe to our RSS feeds.

© Copyright 2010 | Amnesty International USA | 5 Penn Plaza | New York, NY 10001
| 212.807.8400

Remove yourself from this mailing.

Remove yourself from all mailings from Amnesty USA.