[lbo-talk] more on that dying tea party

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri Oct 15 12:59:10 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-15, at 2:58 PM, SA wrote:

> On 10/15/2010 2:44 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> Isn't that just a new name for right-wing Republicans?
>
> When a right-wing Republican is knocked out in a primary by a grassroots movement because he's not right-wing enough, that's a shift to the right. When it happens in a quarter of all Senate races it shifts every aspect of politics to the right.

When John Boehner says "there really is no difference between what Republicans believe in and what the Tea Party activists believe in", he and the rest of the leadership are saying "we enthusiastically salute the efforts of the TPM in getting out the vote, and we're eagerly looking forward to integrating the fresh new candidates they've chosen into our caucus, but if these political naifs think for one moment that we're going to abolish the Fed, repeal the civil rights act, eliminate all government departments except for defence, state, treasury, and justice, or otherwise do other than what we've already determined to do in the upcoming session, they're setting themselves up for one very big disappointment."