[lbo-talk] A China-financed US New Deal

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 18:28:21 PDT 2010

Marv Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote:

> Let China engage in a massive rebuilding of US infrastructure – it can build
> airports, highways, dams, and railways – which would raise investment
> levels enough keep the US trade deficit high in a way that benefits the
> US and China.

Rail!

Proposals I've seen for high speed rail in US have been distinctly anemic. A few hundred miles of line with top speeds in the 100-150 mph range.

China's high speed rail network is amazing. Similar to French TGV or Japanese bullet trains but far larger. 7,000 km (4,000-odd miles) in service now, plans to roughly double that in next 5 years. Newest generation get close to 400 kph, 250 mph.

They are already talking about BRIC-to-BRIC deals. Negotiating for joint-venture fast lines from China to Singapore, India and Moscow. Trying to sell their systems to Brazil.

China would jump at a chance to sell these products to the US, and quite likely they'd do it better & cheaper than any other proposals.