[lbo-talk] baader meinhof

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 04:11:27 PDT 2010

Joanna,

I agree that film is crap. Sensationalist action film, serving the same reactionary sensibilities as Berd Eichinger's "Downfall".

For a really good film on the phenomenon of urban guerilla groups of the 70s, try to find a copy of Volker Schlöndorff's "The Legend of Rita" (German title: "Die Stille nach dem Schuss", "the silence after the shot").

It's a fictionalized account of the life of Inge Viett, who was a member of the Bewegung 2.Juni (a more "libertarian", non-Leninist guerilla group) who eventually joined the RAF and then went into exile in the GDR, only to be recaptured by the BRD after reunification. Her autobiography, "Nie war ich furchtloser" ("I was never more fearless") is a really engrossing read, unfortunately not yet translated into English.

Right-wingers hate this movie because of the relatively sympathetic portrayal of the protagonist, and allowing us to experience the GDR through her positive perceptions of it. Films like this do not fit into the post-reunification consensus of equating right and left as equally "totalitarian".