[lbo-talk] baader meinhof

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 07:19:38 PDT 2010

Angelus: "But really, politically the RAF didn't accomplish much, other than unleashing a wave of state repression that ended up hitting the rest of the left as well."

[WS:] No disagreement here. I think that most efforts of this kind have the predictable result of making things worse for the left.

My point was slightly different, though. I think that despite its political failures, RAF signaled and perhaps popularized a new attitude toward the place and role of women in German society, which radically departs from the conservative concept of "lebensraum" (i.e. living room as the "proper" space of women, according to Claudia Koonz, _Mothers in the Fatherland_). Unlike many US-based left movements of the era in which "men were making a revolution while women were making coffee", the RAF spectacularly staged a very new role for women - as warriors operating the very heart of the public sphere. While that took some of the dominatrix quality only aided the popular impact of this new role. The media attempt to delegitimize RAF by calling it the Baader Meinhof group probably contributed to popularizing this unconventional gender role espoused by RAF.

So from the point of view of a "conventional" red revolutionary project - in which the reds defeat bourgeoisie and capture the state- RAF was an utter fiasco that in a long run probably did more harm than good. But from the point of view of the "new left" revolutionary project - in which the reds subvert the dominant paradigm of bourgeois social norms and gender roles - RAF was a success, I think.

Wojtek