[lbo-talk] baader meinhof

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 10:30:47 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:

Shorter Wojtek: Hot women waving rifles makes for hot copy. I agree. The
> American right has tried this angle, most recently with Sarah Palin, but
> like most reactionary stunts, it's a flaccid imitation of the leftist
> original.

But the RAF was also a flaccid imitation of something more original: Leila Khaled of the PFLP. Forty years after the hijackings, her youthful image remains an icon of struggle, far more so than any component of the RAF's legacy. (How much of a distinction should be drawn between hot women waving rifles and, say, Che is another question.)

http://www.worldproutassembly.org/images/leila-khaled.jpg

At this point in the conversation, I fully expect someone to point out some predecessor of Leila's. "What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; there is nothing new under the sun."