[lbo-talk] Comedy of the real

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Oct 19 20:46:23 PDT 2010

I don't know Chuck. If my man was killing himself, digging coal on his back all day long, I would not begrudge him a hot bath and a hot meal. Not to mention the other hot thing.

As for neo-realism; you might be right about the absence of metaphor, and it's interesting what the effect of that is: to draw the viewer further in...somehow to make it the viewer's story too.

j.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Grimes" <c123grimes at att.net>

Below is a link to a documentary short on manual labor in the Ukraine:

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/general/2010/10/2010101113656323582.html

Boy this is some good stuff. Hard beauty. The secrete to neo-realism is it has no metaphorical dimension---it just IS. I sure would like to write like this video looks.

Some thoughts. The sound of the chisel driven into the mineral casement, contains the promise of a tiny motherlode breaking off. You can hear it ready to break loose. When it breaks, that is all there is to job satisfaction.