[lbo-talk] Friends and enemies

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 08:45:25 PDT 2010

Chuck: "So, that is what is at stake. Corporate USA may or may not understand what it is up to, but it certainly knows in an intuitative way, what threatens its existance."

[WS:] This crossed my mind too, but on the second thought, I do not think it is the case. I recall arguments being made a couple years ago about most "sought for" skills in job applicants. Contrary to popular beliefs, the argument went, corporations were not looking for highly specialized education, but for general one, such as humanities, "topped up" with some specialized training. It was so, because (i) technical skills are always organization-specific, so technical training received in colleges is of limited usefulness, and the candidate must be retrained anyway; and (ii) technical training is relatively simple and inexpensive, most entry levels candidates can be trained to acceptable levels of technical competence within a few weeks.

By contrast, the cognitive skills taught by "general" fields, such is humanities or philosophy cannot be easily taught in an on-the-job training. Oftentimes, candidates who are technically proficient lack these general cognitive skills. Yet, corporations need them - they need people who can think outside the box and solve problems for them.

And the loyalty of these people can be bought rather inexpensively - so there is little risk that their will turn the critical thinking skills against their employers.

Therefore, an ideal combination of skills is bachelor degrees in the humanities , topped up wit master in specialized training. A PhD is "over qualification" because someone with a PhD is less likely to stay with one organization - which is a problem for the organization.

I think that if there is a "war on the humanities" it may have something to do with academic petulance & animosities and politics driven be them, rather than a systematic policy issues. Corporations need talented people and they know how to keep them in line. For Corporate USA, the shortage of talent is a much greater danger than the risk of subversion due to critical thinking.

Wojtek