[lbo-talk] Friends and enemies

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Wed Oct 20 14:42:20 PDT 2010

Where is 'out there' at present?

martin

---------

One example. 805 University Ave, Berkeley Public Health Clinic, where I was yesterday afternoon getting a free flue shot, and heavy discount vacination for whooping couch, measles, mumps, etc.

They had to lay off several people earlier in the year. They are closing in November. The great nurse who shot me up is losing her job.

This clinic's main clients are women and children who are at most risk for disase, disability, and death. The services are also available to low income seniors, like me. The main business for them is mother and infant care. They also act as service referral to other low income services offered by the state, county, and city.

When this clinic closes their clients will have to find healthcare services in Oakland and Richmond where similar cut backs are taking effect. This public health system depends on state budget support which is being cut.

Media economists talk about `pain', painful this, painful that. Those are just words. What is actually happening is shown in healthcare stats on mortality, general health, and morbidity. In other words, neoliberal capitalism is killing us.

CG