[lbo-talk] Hey Brooklynites! -- Apartment Sale (and give-away)

Mitchel Cohen mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 21 20:28:34 PDT 2010

Hi!

As you may or may not know, Brooklyn Greens stalwart Robert Gold has moved to Colombia (the country!) and is starting a new life there.

He left it to me to clear out his apartment in Park Slope / Prospect Heights, and we're doing so THIS WEEKEND.

All sorts of stuff will be for sale -- - 300 or so vinyl LPs - figurines and vases from Central and South America - a dozen old Polaroid and other cameras - glass kitchen table and 4 chairs - bookshelves - a box of 200 Monthly Reviews he forgot to donate - a closet-full of hangers (nothing on'm) - a nice warm NY Knicks jacket and a NY Mets windbreaker and scarf - kitchen utensils and tablecloths and old dishes (I keep finding more and more stuff in drawers) - a giant and quite lovely cabinet - tools - an old radio from the 1940s - two exquisite lamps to hang from chains (that probably none of us can afford) - an old IBM Correcting Selectric II electric typewriter (remember those? Used to cost $1,300 new!) - various paraphernalia and music from trips to Cuba - some electronic / audio equipment, etc - CDs from South America - a matching dresser and night table - very comfortable couch (no bedbugs!) - bookshelves (No books, though -- he donated around 2,000 books to various libraries! And no clothes -- he donated all the clothes he didn't take with him to a Movement organization. What a mensch!)

and much more ....

Anyway, come by the apartment. Robert called me from Colombia today and said he'd be thrilled if comrades in the Greens and/or WBAI and/or Latin American solidarity movements and School of the Americas Watch would buy the stuff and make good use of it. We'll give comrades first crack at it all and a cut rate -- or even some stuff for free, if you're broke and need something (file cabinet?), before we put them on Craig's List and E-Bay.

While we're at it, let me also advertise Cathryn's aunt's set of 1950s golf clubs and bag (any offers?), and my own old Washburn guitar (highest offer above $50) ....

Saturday 11 a.m. until 4 pm

Sunday 11 a.m. until 2:45 pm (gotta be at a talk on Ecology at NYU Sunday at 4.)

That's it!

Address: 36 Plaza Street East, Apt. 1C Prospect Heights, Brooklyn

Directions -- 36 Plaza Street East is on the Circle between Vanderbilt and the Grand Army Plaza main Library. There's usually parking nearby.

Or, by train, #2 or #3 train to Grand Army Plaza -- 1-1/2 block walk. Or Q train to 7th Avenue -- walk down Flatbush to a little past 8th Ave., turn left and 1-1/2 blocks.

Also, B67 bus to Flatubush Ave. and 7th, and follow same directions as above.

We won't have a phone or computer (as you know, I refuse to own a cellphone), so just show up at the designated times, rummage through the remains of Robert's Brooklyn lives, and just share a glass of wine or Kahlua that I found in the refrig even if you don't buy anything.

Mitchel