[lbo-talk] me against the right

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 05:24:12 PDT 2010

Doug: "deflation is a good thing. That's bonkers.:

[WS:] Sure. For one thing, it would wipe out most of my retirement savings, so it must be bonkers :)

But let's play a devil's advocate and put undesirable social consequences aside for a while. If gov monetary policy results in inflation of asset value, this does little to stimulate the economy - as the government stimulus sits unproductively. There seem to be only two ways out of this situation - gov switching to direct purchases (fiscal policy) - as Richard Koo and Krugman advocate, and deflation of assets to the point that it is more profitable to invest in productive activities instead. Since the former is politically toxic, the latter seems to be the only way out.

>From that pov, deflation is not bonkers - it is a real solution - one
that is politically preferable by neo-libs. I do not think these people will be swayed by the argument pointing to dire social consequences of their solution - they do not give a flying fuck as long as their net worth appreciates. They are the new l'etat c'est moi aristocracy - they only thing that can get the idea of self-importance out of their heads is the guillotine.

Wojtek