[lbo-talk] me against the right

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 06:45:44 PDT 2010

^^^^^^^ CB: For many years on this bundle of lists, our Moderator kept us from being too quick to call recessions, and certainly not to celebrate them with schadendfraude because they mean mass suffering ( with which I agree). I never predicted recessions but regularly complained that the end of the business cycle in capitalism had not arrived, had it ? It's the permanent relative surplus population/mass unemployment , poverty and immiseration especially that we aim to end, not just the cyclical increases in unemployment.

On prediction, it's a more impressive prediction if it is not "for years" before it happens, but rather the month or week before the plunge starts. The position that there is still a business cycle "predicts" that a bust will always come eventually.