[lbo-talk] how to write about a fat guy without saying that he's fat...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 22 07:17:12 PDT 2010

...until the last sentence, that is:

<http://www.theawl.com/2010/10/governor-chomps-down-on-president>

Governor Chomps Down On President by Alex Balk on October 22nd, 2010

New Jersey governor Chris Christie, who has become his party's great big hope since his election last November, sat around yesterday to chew the fat with Brian Williams. Christie—whose popularity seems to swell every time he blusters at a public servant—or anyone really; there's no head Christie is afraid to bite off—is enormously displeased with President Obama and the menu of choices he has made since taking office. While taking care to pass around a plateful of blame, Christie really sticks a fork into the President, saying that as the big cheese it is his job to make sure everyone gathers around the table.

Christie also takes issue with Obama's current rhetoric, making the rotund declaration that, "And now, he seems kind of angry about things when I see him out on the campaign trail. And I don't think that President Obama does angry well. I don't think that suits him well…"

Well, let's just deal with the elephant in the room here: Chris Christie, a surprisingly unjolly man, is America's most acrimonious politician. We've all seen the gargantuan tirades he unleashes at press conferences and town hall meetings. At times he seems devoured by anger, bellowing forth a heaving portion of rage which somehow seems to feed on itself. The man gorges on bitterness. So when this connoisseur of bile delivers his stout opinion that you aren't good at being angry, you certainly need to take it under advisement. If Christie is dishing up this heaving helping of advice, the Administration needs to choke it down, no matter how bitter it tastes. Because, after all, who knows better? Also, how does that chair he's sitting on not collapse?