[lbo-talk] me against the right

Ricky Page rfpage2008 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 11:36:15 PDT 2010

I know the type, LoL

________________________________ From: Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Fri, October 22, 2010 11:19:41 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] me against the right

re: Doug: Taxing people like you.

[WS:] This reminds me of a conference on poverty reduction I attended a few years ago in Mexico City.  The conference was put together by a bunch of wealthy "philanthropists" and featured a whole bunch of elaborate schemes how to use private philanthropy to that purpose.  I was holding back a vomitory reaction until one of the invited guests, an old British Labourite took the floor and pointed out that these elaborate schemes have a slight problem - philanthropic intermediaries that tend to get fat instead of trickling down the "philanthropic" donations they receive.  He then paused for a while and added, "There is of course a solution: a big, fat progressive tax."

Seeing the jaws in the audience dropping was priceless and made my whole day.  For everything else, there was the Master Card.

Wojtek