[lbo-talk] ‘Not Really a Worker’: Home-Based Unions Challenged in Court

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 09:45:51 PDT 2010

Oops, you're right; I've confused Early and Fitch. Lo siento! But no, I don't agree that there isn't a pernicious element to Fitch's argument that goes far beyond making the observation that there are significant differences between organizing homecare workers and other types of workers. Fitch's rhetoric clearly mirrors that of the NRWLDF, and is the exact type of mentality that Boris and Klein try to combat in their article:

"Stern has also boosted his rolls with workers who aren't really workers at all. In California, for example, Stern cannily used political contributions and organizing to reroute welfare dollars into his union and create a whole new class of members . . . But most of those home-care workers are parents and children who got government money for taking care of family members or close friends. They didn't provide nursing services but simply bathed and fed their disabled children or elderly parents. Most home-care workers are part-time, working for one client. Their average pay is less than $700 a month (now minus dues to SEIU)."

http://www.slate.com/id/2123481/

And since they're not real workers, Fitch feels he can safely ignore the decades-long struggle of actual homecare workers to improve their own working conditions. Thus all one needs to know about homecare organizing is that Andy Stern cut some Dem politician a big check and SEIU suddenly finds itself with a bunch more dues-paying members. What rot.