[lbo-talk] Blixa Bargeld Reads Hornbach

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Mon Oct 25 12:08:14 PDT 2010

On Mon, October 25, 2010 11:24 am, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> William Burroughs did Nike spots in 1994. I say good for them. Why
>> shouldn't they get a payday?
>
> Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel regularly turns down serious money for
> commercials. I have to admit I don't get it. I'd sell out if anyone were
> buying.

One of the features which fascinates me about videogame culture is the way its leading franchises can transmit shockingly radical anti-war, anti-neolib and anti-Empire messages -- while still selling like mad. Case in point: Kojima's Metal Gear Solid, with lifetime sales of close to 25 million units.

I suspect there's something about the connectivity of digital media which allows this to happen -- if fans feel they're being swindled, they can immediately organize online, or simply refuse to buy the next edition of the franchise. Also, videogame artists can draw their inspiration literally from the entire planet these days, including the thriving media-cultures of the BRICs. Game franchises don't have to adopt neoliberal narratives celebrating bankster scams and imperial pillage, the way most Hollywood franchises have to.

-- DRR