[lbo-talk] On Chris Hedges

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Wed Oct 27 15:34:24 PDT 2010

On Wed, October 27, 2010 9:25 am, Nicholas Ruiz III wrote:

> Dear Citizens,
>
> I like Hedges' spirit:
>
> http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_world_liberal_opportunists_made_2
> 0101025/
>
> ...but some of his ideas are flawed and really not indicative of
> what is needed for progressive policy gains - which is what everyone here
> is after, right?

Not necessarily flawed, but incomplete -- Hedges is using the generic term "liberal" to critique the US Empire, but his article conflates two forms of liberal ideology. The first is Cold War liberalism (LBJ and the Great Society), and the second is neoliberalism (a.k.a. the doctrines of the rentierklatura). The two are very different beasts.

What's missing from the article is geopolitics, or the recognition that the corporate state he denounces, a.k.a. the US Empire, is destroying itself in front of our eyes. I'd argue any progressive politics should start with the direct, unabashed critique of Empire, rather than with the critique of the innumerable symptoms of Imperial decay.

-- DRR