[lbo-talk] Murray Waas: Dems helping the Tea Party

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 08:20:53 PDT 2010

[WS:] But if that is the case - i.e. if Dems indeed aided a splinter group to siphon off the Repug votes - this may backfire on them big time. First of all, it seems that they misperceived the nature of the tea "party" - it is not a third party but a new brand name owned and operated by the Repug party - so helping the teabaggers amounts to helping the Repugs.

But more importantly, the Dems seemed to miscalculate the level of anti-state attitude and small business mentality in the US populism. Far from being perceived as "fringe elements" by a majority of the US population (as lefties are) - the teabaggers are likely to be viewed as "common-sense" folks "bringing sanity back to Washington." In other words, when in doubt the knee jerk instinct of the US population is to embrace gutter populism that fueled every fascist movement in modern history.

Of course, this reaction is not unique to the US, but the absence of any institutional alternative to the business domination of politics makes it particularly widespread here. As I already said on this list, I've given up the hope of any change in this country. I have a relatively comfortable and civilized life in the DC area and as long as it continues, I do not really give a flying fuck what happens to the rest of this country. They may vote to move back to the stone age if that pleases their anti-state populist delusions. However, in the unlikely event of the outcomes of the electoral circus impinging on the quality of my life here - I have a plan B: go back to Europe.

Wojtek